United States Mission to the United NationsOffice of Press and Public Diplomacy For Immediate Release November 7, 2023
Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield to Lead U.S. Delegation at the 52nd Pacific Islands Forum Leaders Meeting in Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield, U.S. Representative to the United Nations, will lead the United States’ delegation to the 52nd Pacific Islands Forum (PIF) Leaders Meeting in Rarotonga, Cook Islands, from November 8-10.
Following the White House-hosted U.S.-Pacific Islands Forum Summit in September, Ambassador Thomas-Greenfield will reaffirm President Biden’s commitment to enhancing our partnership with the Pacific Islands as well as emphasize the importance of the PIF as an essential forum for discussing critical issues and advancing prosperity and peace in the Pacific. The Ambassador will also meet with Pacific Island leaders and other stakeholders to discuss shared challenges and galvanize further international cooperation on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), climate crisis, regional security, and other key priorities.
Additionally, the Ambassador will express the United States’ support for advancing the priorities developed by the Pacific Islands as outlined in the PIF 2050 Strategy for a Blue Pacific Continent.
En route to the PIF, Ambassador Thomas-Greenfield will stop in Honolulu, Hawaii, on November 7. In Hawaii, she will join Governor Josh Green, M.D., in co-chairing an event with Hawaii students and indigenous youth on addressing the SDGs. Ambassador Thomas-Greenfield will also meet with Admiral John C. Aquilino, U.S. Navy, Commander of the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command.
Members of the U.S. delegation include:
- Ambassador Frankie Reed, Envoy to the Pacific Islands Forum
- Ambassador Tom Udall, New Zealand and Samoa
- Vice Admiral Andrew J. Tiongson, United States Coast Guard
Ms. Carol Spahn, Director, Peace Corps
- Mr. Michael Schiffer, Assistant Administrator, Bureau of Asia, United States Agency for International Development
- Mr. Trigg Talley, Senior Advisor to the Special Presidential Envoy for Climate
- Ms. Theresa Lou, Senior Policy Advisor, U.S. Mission to the United Nations (Washington office)
- Ms. Meghan Kleinsteiber, Surge Director for Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific, National Security Council
Follow the Ambassador’s travels on Twitter at @USAmbUN, @USUNSpox, and @USUN.