Employment Authorization

Although employees of the United Nations system and the permanent missions accredited to the UN may not accept paid employment in the host country, certain family members of some of these UN employees may be authorized, under certain circumstances, to accept employment in the private economy of the United States. Individuals who obtain employment authorization lose any immunity from criminal, civil, or administrative jurisdiction that they may enjoy with respect to specific actions arising from employment, although their immunity continues in all other respects. Additionally, individuals granted authorization to work in the United States are required to pay federal and state income taxes on any income so earned.

Family members of permanent mission employees interested in securing employment authorization in order to work in the US are advised to contact the administrative officers within his or her respective mission. The United States Mission’s Host Country Affairs Section may also be contacted for assistance in obtaining employment authorization.

Information on Employment Authorization for Dependents and Spouses of United Nations Employees
Dependent spouses of United Nations employees on G-4 visas may gain authorization to accept employment in the United States provided they are offered a specific skilled or professional level job. Dependent children under 23 years of age who attend school or university on a full-time basis, and dependent children over the age of 23 who are disabled and therefore unable to support themselves independently, may be given authorization to accept a part-time skilled or unskilled job once a job offer has been secured. Dependents of United Nations employees interested in pursuing employment in the United States should contact the Office of the United Nations Staff Counselor.

Employment Authorization for Dependents and Spouses of Members of Permanent Missions to the United Nations
Employment of dependent spouses and children of members of the Permanent Missions may be granted if the sending state has signed a Bilateral Work Agreement with the United States, or if a de facto reciprocal employment arrangement is in place. . As of March 2012, Bilateral Work agreements had been signed between 115 member states, and reciprocal arrangements were in place with 42 additional member states. Although the provisions of the agreements and arrangements vary by country, dependent spouses (regardless of their own nationality), full-time student children under 23, and children over 23 who are disabled from missions whose governments have signed a bilateral agreement are generally able to gain authorization to accept any job they are able to find (although children may only accept part-time employment). Spouses, regardless of nationality, of employees of missions with de facto agreements in place are generally able to gain employment authorization to accept a skilled or professional-level job once a specific job offer has been secured. Dependent children under 23 who are full-time students, and disabled dependent children of any age from missions with de facto arrangements, are normally able to gain authorization to accept part-time skilled or unskilled work with a specific job offer. In the case of de facto arrangements, employment is limited to dependents of nationals of the country represented.

Employment Authorization Tax Filing Requirement Diplomatic Note Dependents who are granted authorization to work, are required to pay taxes on any remuneration earned. For clarification regarding income tax filing requirements, please visit the link below for diplomatic note HC-43-12.

This is to advise all Permanent Missions of the requirements for applying for employment authorization. Currently, employment authorization applications take 12 to 18 weeks to be processed. Please ensure you submit a completed application. Please submit the following documents for a complete application.

Applying for Employment Authorization

    1. Two passport size photos with white background of the applicant
    2. One copy of the I-765 Form (Form I-765)
    3. One copy of the I-566 with the Mission seal and signatures
    4. One copy of the applicants recent I-94 and the principals I-94
    5. One copy of the applicants passport bio page and visa
    6. One copy of the principals passport bio page and visa
    7. For renewals, copies of the 1040 NR for the time an EAD card was had.

Please ensure that all forms are complete with original signatures.

The application should be sent to:

Attn: EAD Office
799 UN Plaza
New York, NY 10017

For any questions or concerns regarding the employment authorization program, please email USUNEAD@state.gov

For diplomatic note HC-43-12 please click here (PDF 248 KB)